Podcasts sur l'histoire

Nopatin SP-2195 - Historique

Nopatin SP-2195 - Historique


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Nopatine
(SP-2195 : t. 3 539 ; 1. 320'2" ; né. 48'1", dr. 16' ; s. 23 k.)

Nopatin un transport construit en 1913 par Harlan & Hollingsworth, Wiimington, Del. aB Manhattan, waB acquis par la Navy aB Nopatin de Central Vermont Transportation Co. le 11 janvier 1918 et commandé le 28 janvier 1918, le Lt. Comdr. Alexander Smart aux commandes.

Opérant dans la Manche pendant les derniers mois de la guerre, le Nopatin navigua entre Southampton, l'Angleterre et la France dans le devoir dangereux de transporter des hommes et des fournitures à travers des eaux infestées de sous-marins ennemis. Après le service en temps de guerre et le déclassement, il est vendu le 15 août 1919.


Nopatin SP-2195 - Historique

Le S.S. President Grant, un paquebot de 18 072 tonnes brutes, a été construit en 1907 à Belfast, en Irlande, pour le Hamburg-Amerika Linie. Il partageait une superstructure distincte et une configuration à six mâts avec son navire jumeau, le President Lincoln. Après sept ans d'exploitation commerciale, il se réfugia à New York lorsque le déclenchement de la Première Guerre mondiale en août 1914 rendit la haute mer dangereuse pour les navires marchands allemands et resta inactif jusqu'à ce que les États-Unis entrent dans le conflit en avril 1917. Saisi à cette époque par le gouvernement des États-Unis, il a été remis à la Marine et, au début d'août 1917, mis en service en tant que président des transports Grant (plus tard sous le numéro d'enregistrement 3014). Pendant le reste de la Première Guerre mondiale, il a effectué huit allers-retours à travers l'Atlantique, transportant près de 40 000 passagers (principalement des troupes américaines) vers la zone de guerre européenne. Après l'armistice du 11 novembre 1918, le président Grant a ramené au pays plus de 37 000 anciens combattants et autres personnes au cours de huit autres voyages aller-retour. Il a été désarmé en octobre 1919 et transféré à l'armée américaine.

En 1920-1921, le navire servit brièvement de transport de l'armée et, en 1921, fut rendu à l'U.S. Shipping Board et désarmé. Elle fut rebaptisée Président Buchanan en 1922 ou 1923, puis rebaptisée République et reconstruite avec une superstructure agrandie et des chaudières au fioul. À la fin des années 1920 et au début des années 1930, la United States Lines l'exploitait commercialement. Republic a repris le service militaire en 1931, a servi comme USS Republic (AP-33) en 1941-1945 et était à nouveau un navire de l'armée en 1945-1946.

Cette page présente et fournit des liens vers toutes les opinions que nous avons concernant l'USS President Grant (ID # 3014), qui est devenu plus tard l'USS Republic (AP-33).

Si vous souhaitez des reproductions à plus haute résolution que les images numériques présentées ici, consultez : "Comment obtenir des reproductions photographiques."

Cliquez sur la petite photo pour afficher une vue plus grande de la même image.

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

A Brest, France.
Cette photographie originale portait la date du 18 juillet 1919. Cependant, le camouflage "éblouissant" porté par le président Grant indique qu'elle a en fait été prise en 1918.

Collection de Peter K. Connelly. Avec l'aimable autorisation de William H. Davis, 1967.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 39 Ko 740 x 575 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Reproduction en demi-teinte d'une photographie du navire en camouflage, vers la mi-fin 1918. Elle a été publiée par A.M. Simon, 324 E. 23rd St., New York City, en 1919 comme l'une des dix images d'un "dossier Souvenir" concernant l'USS President Grant .

Don du Dr Mark Kulikowski, 2006.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 79 Ko 740 x 490 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

À New York, vers le printemps ou l'été 1918, après avoir été peint en camouflage.
Photographié par le New York Navy Yard.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 71 Ko 610 x 765 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

À New York, vers le printemps ou l'été 1918, après avoir été peint en camouflage.
Photographié par le New York Navy Yard.
Le navire camouflé au-delà de la poupe du président Grant est l'USS Nopatin (ID # 2195). Voir la photo # NH 41747-A pour une version recadrée de cette image, mettant l'accent sur ce navire.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 88 Ko 630 x 765 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Naviguant en convoi avec d'autres navires, 1918. Elle porte un camouflage "dazzle".
L'image originale est imprimée sur du stock de carte postale ("AZO").

Don de Charles R. Haberlein Jr., 2007.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Taille de l'image en ligne : 42 Ko 740 x 445 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Dans le port de New York, 1919.
Photographié par E. Muller Jr., New York.

Don du Dr Mark Kulikowski, 2008.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 96 Ko 900 x 500 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Dans le port de New York, 1919.
La photographie originale, prise par E. Muller Jr., de New York, est imprimée sur du papier de carte postale ("AZO").

Don du Dr Mark Kulikowski, 2007.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 64 Ko 740 x 490 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Amarré à une bouée au port, vers 1919.
Photographié par "HF Co".
L'image originale est imprimée sur du stock de cartes postales ("AZO").

Don de Charles R. Haberlein Jr., 2007.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Taille de l'image en ligne : 71 Ko 740 x 465 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Au port, probablement à Newport News, Virginie, 1919.
Photographie protégée à l'époque par Holladay.
L'image originale est imprimée sur du papier de carte postale ("AZO").

Don de Charles R. Haberlein Jr., 2008.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 67 Ko 740 x 480 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Photographié en 1919 (peut-être le 2 avril), alors qu'il était employé à ramener des troupes américaines d'Europe.
L'image originale est imprimée sur du papier de carte postale ("AZO").

Don de Charles R. Haberlein Jr., 2008.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Taille de l'image en ligne : 64 Ko 740 x 495 pixels

USS Président Grant (ID # 3014)

Reproduction en demi-teinte d'une photographie du navire naviguant en convoi avec d'autres transports de troupes, 1918. Elle a été publiée par A.M. Simon, 324 E. 23rd St., New York City, en 1919 comme l'une des dix images d'un "dossier Souvenir" concernant l'USS President Grant .
D'après leurs motifs de camouflage et leur apparence physique générale, les trois navires les plus proches de la caméra sont (de gauche à droite) : USS Zeelandia (ID # 2507) USS President Grant et USS Huron (ID # 1408).

Don du Dr Mark Kulikowski, 2006.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 61 Ko 740 x 475 pixels

"Les transports de troupes américains originaux"

Graphique compilé le 16 août 1919, montrant le nombre de « retournements » transatlantiques et leur durée moyenne pour trente-sept transports de troupes de la marine américaine utilisés pendant et immédiatement après la Première Guerre mondiale.

Collection de l'Association de la Réunion USS Pocahontas, 1974.

Photographie du Commandement de l'histoire et du patrimoine de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 157 Ko 690 x 655 pixels

Cliquez ici pour faire pivoter le graphique de 90 degrés dans le sens des aiguilles d'une montre

Remarque : le navire vu sur la photo n° NH 43544 a été identifié à l'origine, et à tort, comme l'USS President Grant, et a été publié en tant que tel. Le navire dans cette vue est en fait l'USS Susquehanna (ID # 3016), qui avait une apparence très différente.


Histoire de Virginie - Charles R. Adair

Pour discuter de l'histoire et de la généalogie de la vallée de la New River en Caroline du Nord et en Virginie, vous êtes invités à vous joindre au groupe de discussion sur l'histoire et la généalogie de New River.

Bienvenue et nous espérons que vous vous joindrez aux discussions.

Quoi de neuf:

Nouvelles notes de la rivière et tableau de bord terminé

21 Janvier 2014

Après environ deux ans de travail, nous avons terminé une mise à niveau majeure de New River Notes. Le 21 janvier 2014, nous avons transféré le dernier des fichiers mis à jour et les dernières révisions des pages.

En janvier 2013, nous avons présenté la nouvelle mise en page du site, mais comme il restait beaucoup de pages à faire, il y avait un gros En construction rouge sur la première page. Un an plus tard, nous avons terminé toutes les pages qui se trouvaient sur le site d'origine. La construction est terminée. Nous avons un superbe site plein de matériel pour vous aider dans vos recherches et éventuellement vous divertir.

Nouvelles notes de rivière

6 janvier 2013

New River Notes, une ressource généalogique de premier plan pour la vallée de la New River en Caroline du Nord et en Virginie, a lancé aujourd'hui son nouveau site Web.

New River Notes a été initialement lancé en 1998 par Jeffrey C. Weaver, fournissant aux chercheurs de New River Valley une nouvelle mine d'informations et cette tradition est perpétuée aujourd'hui par le comté de Grayson, Virginia Heritage Foundation, Inc.

Bienvenue et nous espérons que vous apprécierez notre nouveau look.

Charles R. Adair

CHARLES R. ADAIR, qui, au cours des dernières années, a mis sur pied une entreprise d'assurance générale importante et prospère à Narrows dans le comté de Giles, est encore un homme relativement jeune, et pourtant, il a acquis une expérience aussi variée que peu d'hommes.

Son grand-père, James Adair, est né le 4 juin 1807 dans le comté de Down, en Irlande. Il est venu aux États-Unis avec la famille de son père, William, Jane, Mary et Robert Adair, arrivant à Norfolk après avoir passé cinquante et un jours à bord. James Adair a épousé Jane Swart, fille de William R. Swart. L'épouse de William R. Swart était Elizabeth Rogers, fille de Hugh et Mary (Combs) Rogers. Le père de Hugh Rogers était Arthur Rogers, qui a passé ses premières années dans le comté de Bucks, en Pennsylvanie, et a ensuite déménagé dans le comté de Loudoun, en Virginie. Arthur Rogers était un fils de William Rogers, qui est venu aux États-Unis vers 1720. William Rogers représenté :dans la vieille famille presbytérienne Scotch-Irish du comté d'Antrim, en Irlande, et qui a été établie en Irlande par la migration de l'Écosse vers le milieu de le XVIe siècle.

James Adair était l'un des premiers colons du comté de Giles, en Virginie, qui dirigeait une grande ferme avec l'aide d'esclaves. Il (menti à Bell Point, comté de Giles, le 20 août 1868. Sa femme, Jane A. Swart, est née dans le comté de Fauquier, le 30 septembre 1813, et est décédée à Bell Point, le 10 mars 7865. Ils avaient une famille nombreuse de sept fils et deux filles : William, né le 24 mars 1844 Ellen Adair, née le 30 mars 1845 Asa Rogers, née le 20 mars 1846, décédée le 24 janvier 1923 Robert Wallace, né le 3 avril 1848 Hugh T., le 7 octobre , 1849 John A., mentionné ci-dessous Mary Jane, née le 10 mars 1854 James Arthur, né le 9 avril 1857 et Menelius Chapman, né le 30 juin 1862 et noyé à l'embouchure du fleuve Yukon en Alaska, juin 10, 1900.

John A. Adair, père de Charles R., est né à Bell Point, maintenant appelé Lurich, dans le comté de Giles, le 20 juin 1851, et est maintenant pratiquement un résident à la retraite de Narrows. Il a été élevé dans le comté de Giles, achevant ses études auprès du professeur Humphrey à la White Gate Academy, et ses années actives ont été consacrées à l'agriculture. Ile possède toujours une propriété considérable à Narrows. Sa maison se trouve dans le sud-ouest de la Virginie, à l'exception de trois ans où il a essayé d'être pionnier dans ce qui était alors le pays frontalier du Kansas, dans le comté de Sumner, où il a vécu avec sa famille pendant trois ans, de 1878 à 1880. Il est démocrate et a été shérif adjoint du comté de Giles sous le shérif John D. Snidow pendant quatre ans. Ile est un membre actif de la Missionary Baptist Church. Sa première épouse, Virginia McClaugherty, est née près de Pearisburg en 1852 et est décédée en 1890. Elle était mère de quatre enfants : James, un employé de Narrows Extract Works Charles R., Janie, épouse de Percy O. Ivery, un comptable vivant à Langeloth, Pennsylvanie et Miss Ellen Kyle, vivant avec son père. John A. Adair s'est marié pour sa seconde épouse, Fannie W. Peck. Il y a trois enfants de cette union. Arthur C., ingénieur civil et minier de la United States Steel Corporation à Gary, Virginie-Occidentale, a participé à la guerre mondiale pendant un an, étant stationné à Camp Meade, et a été nommé sous-lieutenant dans le département du quartier-maître. Bennett F., le deuxième fils, est maître de poste, marchand et concessionnaire automobile à Rich Creek dans le comté de Giles, et est également un ancien combattant de la guerre mondiale. Il était pompier de première classe sur l'U.S.S. Nopatin et, pendant toute la durée de la guerre, s'est occupé du transport de troupes anglaises et américaines à travers la Manche. Le troisième fils, John Alexander, Jr., occupe un poste dans le département d'ingénierie de la Steel Corporation à Gary, en Virginie-Occidentale.

Charles R. Adair est né le 3 février 1880, alors que ses parents vivaient près de Wichita dans le comté de Sumner, au Kansas. Il n'était qu'un enfant lorsqu'ils retournèrent en Virginie et fut élevé dans le comté de Giles, fréquentant les écoles de campagne et les écoles primaires de Pearisburg, et y terminant ses études secondaires à l'âge de dix-huit ans. Né dans le sud-ouest du pays, il a peut-être hérité d'un avant-goût de l'existence à la frontière, car après avoir quitté l'école, il est allé dans l'ouest du Texas, est devenu un cow-boy, est resté quatre mois dans le ranch près de Barstow, et s'est rendu à Deming, au Nouveau-Mexique, dans le Montagnes Trasermanus, où il a été employé dans les mines d'argent pendant quatre mois. En partant de là, il a fait un long voyage dans les États de l'Ouest, travaillant dans les mines, extrayant du bois, aidant également à la récolte du blé, et comme point culminant de son expérience occidentale, il a couru pour une ferme dans l'Oklahoma, lors de l'ouverture des terres. là en 1901, mais n'a pas réussi à obtenir un emplacement. Après trois années d'existence difficile, il revint à l'automne 1901 dans le comté de Giles. Pendant quelques mois, il a été chronométreur et homme de passage pour la Bell Telephone Company, puis est devenu acheteur pour une grande société charbonnière à Flat Top Coal Fields, après quoi il a appris et suivi le métier de boulanger à Cincinnati et dans le Chesapeake & Ohio Railway champs de charbon. En 1906, il partit sur la route en tant que vendeur pour la Brown Manufacturing Company de Greenville, couvrant le territoire du sud jusqu'en 1908. L'année suivante, il était inspecteur en chef du Motive Power Department du Norfolk & Western Railway, dont le siège est à Roanoke, et pour un année voyagée pour une épicerie en gros en Virginie et en Virginie-Occidentale.

Depuis qu'il a quitté la route, les intérêts de M. Adair se sont concentrés à Narrows, où il était marchand jusqu'en avril 1916. Il s'est ensuite lancé dans le secteur des assurances générales et s'occupe de l'assurance pour une grande communauté autour de Narrows. M. Adair possède une maison moderne dans cette ville, ainsi qu'un immeuble de magasin, et depuis le 1er septembre 1922, il est juge de police de la ville. Il prend une part active aux affaires sociales et civiques, et est lui-même un homme très populaire et sympathique. Il est démocrate, diacre de l'Église presbytérienne et surintendant de l'école du dimanche, et est affilié à Giles Lodge n° 106, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons Pearisburg Chapter n° 29, Royal Arch Masons Graham Commandery n° 22, Knights Templar , Kazim Temple du Mystic Shrine à Roanoke, et est également membre des United Commercial Travellers. Son influence et son église étaient à la disposition du gouvernement pendant la guerre mondiale, et il a activement participé à tous les prêts Liberty et autres campagnes.

Le 30 octobre 1907, à Fork Union, dans le comté de Fluvanna, M. Adair épousa Mlle Margaret M. Davis, fille de Henry et Nettie (Thomas) Davis, sa mère aujourd'hui décédée. Son père est agriculteur dans le comté de Fluvanna. Mme Adair est diplômée de l'école secondaire Hill Grove de Fork Union. Ils ont deux enfants, Mary Davis, née le 26 mai 1909, et Charles Robert, né le 29 septembre 1914.


Ce correctif contient des mises à jour pour le service MIM, le portail MIM et les composants PAM.

  • Statut : MIM 2016 Service Pack 2 (SP2) d'octobre 2019
  • Numéro de version BHOLD correspondant : 6.0.62.0

Assurez-vous de lire le guide de déploiement MIM pour la liste mise à jour des conditions préalables et des limitations liées aux environnements TLS 1.2 uniquement, à la prise en charge des comptes de service gérés de groupe et au chemin de mise à niveau à partir des versions MIM et FIM précédentes.

Un package de cumul du Service Pack 2 (SP2) (build 4.6.34.0) est disponible pour Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) 2016. Il s'agit d'une mise à jour cumulative qui remplace les mises à jour antérieures de MIM 2016 SP1 4.4.1302.0 jusqu'au build 4.5.412.0.

Mises à jour dans MIM 2016 Service Pack 2

Modules complémentaires du client MIM

  • Ajout de la prise en charge du module complémentaire MIM Outlook à charger dans la version Outlook pour Microsoft 365 Click-To-Run.

Service et portail

  • Ajout de la prise en charge du service et du portail MIM à installer sur Windows Server 2019 et à utiliser SQL Server 2017, Exchange Server 2019, SharePoint 2019, System Center Service Manager Data Warehouse 2019
  • Installation du service MIM et du portail activés dans les environnements TLS 1.2 uniquement.
  • Installation activée pour les sites Web de service MIM, de réinitialisation de mot de passe et d'enregistrement de mot de passe, PAM Monitoring Service, PAM Component Service pour utiliser les comptes de service gérés de groupe.
  • Ajout du paramètre d'installation 'keepSQLjobs'.
  • Les travaux temporels de l'agent MIM SQL Server ne démarrent plus sur les réplicas secondaires du groupe de disponibilité permanent SQL.
  • Attributs virtuels « ExplicitMember.Add » et « ExplicitMember.Remove » activés pour les types d'objets personnalisés sur les formulaires RCDC afin de fonctionner avec les modifications delta.

Service de synchronisation

  • Ajout de la prise en charge du service de synchronisation MIM à installer sur Windows Server 2019 et à utiliser SQL Server 2017, Exchange Server 2019
  • Installation du service de synchronisation MIM activée dans les environnements TLS 1.2 uniquement.
  • Installation activée pour le service de synchronisation MIM afin d'utiliser un compte de service géré de groupe.
  • Ajout de l'option « Utiliser le compte MIMSync » pour l'agent de gestion des services MIM.

Gestion des accès aux privilèges


Steamship NEW YORK, HUDSON RIVER DAY Line 1908 Naval Cover ROCKY MOUNT, NC

Steamship NEW YORK, HUDSON RIVER DAY Line 1908 Naval Cover ROCKY MOUNT, NC Il a été envoyé le 30 janvier 1908. Il a été affranchi avec le timbre "Franklin". Il a été envoyé de Wright of Ashland, en Virginie. Cette carte postale est en bon état, mais pas parfait. S'il vous plaît regardez e. Lire la suite

Caractéristiques de l'objet
Description de l'article

Steamship NEW YORK, HUDSON RIVER DAY Line 1908 Naval Cover ROCKY MOUNT, NC

Il a été envoyé le 30 janvier 1908. Il a été affranchi du cachet "Franklin". Il a été envoyé de Wright of Ashland, en Virginie.

Cette carte postale est en bon état, mais pas parfait. Veuillez regarder le scan et faire votre propre jugement.

Membre USCS #10385 (j'ai aussi gagné le badge du mérite de collectionneur de timbres quand j'étais petit !). Veuillez me contacter si vous avez des besoins de couverture spécifiques. J'ai des milliers à vendre, y compris des navires (USS, USNS, USCGC, garde-côtes, navire, maritime), des postes militaires, des événements, des APO, des hôtels, des antécédents postaux, des souvenirs, etc. J'offre également un service d'approbation avec LIVRAISON GRATUITE pour répéter les États-Unis les clients.

Des articles ont été publiés dans le greene county news de décembre 1963 à avril 1966 et ont été rédigés par f. Van huard Ryder.

Transcrit par Sylvia Hasenkopf
14 JANVIER 1965

les bateaux Fulton
Images du fulton et du parangon des « annales du bateau à vapeur sur la rivière hudson », par charles hallenbeck, situé à la bibliothèque de l'état de new york, albany

Annonce dans le journal du catskill recorder, mars 1815, bibliothèque de recherche vedder

Poursuivre avec les bateaux fulton. Après le Richmond, il y avait plusieurs ferries, que je couvrirai dans un article séparé, et puis -- l'impératrice de Russie ! Avec succès avec ses bateaux à vapeur dans ce pays, en 1811, il a entamé des négociations pour obtenir un droit exclusif en russie, à condition que dans les trois ans, il exploite un navire entre st. Pétersbourg (leningrad) et kronstadt, à travers un bras abrité du golfe de Finlande. A cet effet, il commença à construire l'impératrice de Russie, mais il mourut avant que le bateau ne soit achevé et le projet échoua selon seymour bullock (journal american history, vol. 1, 1907, numéro 8, page 34), "bien que non achevé jusqu'après la mort de Fulton, ce navire est ensuite devenu le Connecticut, qui a opéré sur les routes du son de l'île jusqu'à son démantèlement en 1836.

Le rameau d'olivier (à ne pas confondre avec un ferry de ce nom) a été construit la même année, 1816, que le Connecticut a été achevé. Ce navire de 124' de long a passé la majeure partie de sa carrière sur la route new york - nouveau-brunswick et a été abandonné en 1827.

Le Washington achevé en 1813, a été construit pour le service de la rivière Potomac, mesurait 165 pieds de long et a été démantelé en 1828.

Lorsque les horreurs de la guerre de 1812 sont devenues une réalité terrifiante, Fulton s'est engagé à construire le premier cuirassé à vapeur au monde à un coût estimé à 320 000 $. Le demelogos, également connu sous le nom de fulton le premier, devait être un fort flottant pour la défense du port. La peur de la guerre et la propagande étaient les mêmes alors qu'aujourd'hui. Le courant du soir d'edimbourg a signalé ses dimensions comme 800 pieds de longueur avec un faisceau de 200 pieds ! De plus, que « pour ennuyer un ennemi tentant d'aborder, elle peut décharger 100 gallons d'eau bouillante en une minute et par mécanisme brandit trois cents coutelas avec la plus grande régularité sur les plats-bords. » en fait ses mesures étaient de 150 pieds de longueur, 56 pieds de largeur. et 20 pieds de profondeur. Le tonnage, 2 475, était le plus important de plusieurs centaines de tonnes que n'importe quel bateau à vapeur construit jusqu'à cette année-là. L'armement se composait de 44 canons dont quatre de 100 livres. La grande roue à aubes protégée était montée dans un centre bien au milieu du navire. Le navire a effectué trois voyages d'essai qui ont été couronnés de succès et la guerre étant terminée, il a ensuite été désarmé dans le chantier naval de Brooklyn. Dans la nuit du 4 juin 1829, quinze ans après la pose de sa quille, il saute accidentellement ou volontairement, tuant 24 hommes, une femme et en blessant de nombreux autres.

Il y avait un autre fulton portant comme figure de proue l'effigie du constructeur, le fulton construit en 1813. Ce bateau à vapeur, gréé en sloop, mesurait 134 pieds de long et avait un tonnage de 327, la plus grande partie de sa carrière s'est déroulée sur le new york - new le paradis et la providence s'exécutent. D'une durée de vie plus longue que la plupart de ses prédécesseurs, elle fut finalement démantelée en 1838.

En 1811, Fulton tourna son attention vers l'ouest et fonda un petit chantier naval à Pittsburgh. La Nouvelle-Orléans fut son premier navire suivi rapidement par l'Aetna, le Vésuve et le buffle. La Nouvelle-Orléans a été placée sur le natchez - la course de la Nouvelle-Orléans et a été le premier bateau à vapeur sur les eaux occidentales. Tous ont prouvé qu'ils étaient des faiseurs d'argent. En 1814, la Nouvelle-Orléans a heurté un problème en dessous de natchez, s'est remplie, a coulé, devenant une perte totale.

À l'exclusion des traversiers, Fulton construit ou avait construit, pas moins de seize bateaux à vapeur - ceux construits expressément pour le service de la rivière Hudson étant le clermont, 1807 voiture de neptune, 1809 paragon, 1811 fire fly, 1812 et le richmond, 1812. Le chancelier livingston, bien que construit pour le service sonore de longue île, a passé pratiquement toute sa carrière sur le hudson.

La réplique parangon du clermont, rebaptisé plus tard la rivière du nord

21 janvier 1965

le ferry Fulton
Les bateaux à vapeur Fulton ont été couverts dans cette série et nous arrivons maintenant à ses ferry-boats.

Le 2 juillet 1812, le premier ferry de Fulton, le jersey, fut mis en service entre Paulus Hook (Jersey City) et New York. Le navire était du type catamaran, ayant deux coques avec la roue à aubes entre les deux. Dans sa spécification de brevet américain de 1809, Fulton décrivait ce navire comme suit : ". Ferry boat composé de deux bateaux dont chacun est un segment de cercle. Ils sont séparés de dix pieds et ont une plate-forme construite sur, les roues et les machines étant en au centre, les voitures et les passagers entrent ou débarquent de chaque extrémité, en passant à droite ou à gauche de la machine.Il y a deux gouvernails à chaque extrémité, les gouvernails des deux à chaque extrémité sont unis par une barre, de sorte qu'ils agissent d'un seul mouvement. Comme le bateau n'est pas conçu pour se déplacer, l'une ou l'autre des extrémités peut passer en avant, auquel cas l'extrémité qui fait office d'étrave a le gouvernail épinglé.

Dans une lettre au Dr. David hosack il a donné une description plus détaillée : « elle est construite de deux vantaux chacun de 10 pieds de large, 80 pieds de long, cinq pieds de profondeur dans la cale dont les bateaux sont distants l'un de l'autre de 10', confinés par de solides genoux et des croisillons diagonaux, formant un pont 30' de large, 80' de long. En plaçant la roue à aubes entre les bateaux, elle est protégée des blessures causées par la glace ou les chocs à l'approche de l'entrée du quai. L'ensemble de la machinerie étant placé entre les deux bateaux laisse 10 pieds de chaque côté sur le pont de chaque bateau pour les voitures, les chevaux et le bétail, etc. 5 pieds clairs du sol aux poutres, meublées de bancs et d'un poêle en hiver. Bien que les deux bateaux et l'espace entre eux cinq de 30 pieds de largeur, ils présentent pourtant des arcs pointus à l'eau, et n'ont que la résistance dans l'eau de un bateau de 20 pieds de large, dont la diminution de la résistance donne de la vitesse dans la traversée."

En 1813, le maillot étant un succès, succède un navire jumeau, le york. Tant le maillot que le york avaient les moteurs typiques de type à manivelle Fulton de 20 chevaux chacun avec des cylindres de 20 pouces de diamètre avec une course de quatre pieds. Chacun conduisait une seule roue à aubes de 12 pieds de diamètre avec des seaux ou des pagaies de quatre pieds de long et deux pieds de large. La vapeur était fournie par une chaudière de 20 pieds de long, neuf pieds de haut et neuf pieds de façade.

Bien que ces ferries étaient censés circuler toutes les demi-heures du lever au coucher du soleil, il fallait souvent une heure pour faire le voyage. On dit que lorsqu'ils se croisaient dans la rivière, les passagers des deux bateaux pouvaient tenir une assez longue conversation avant d'avoir dépassé la distance de parole.

Ces ferries étaient une grande amélioration par rapport aux anciens ferries à chevaux ou à attelages, à la fois en termes de « vitesse » et de confort. L'un d'eux a traversé la rivière avec huit voitures à quatre roues, 29 chevaux et 100 passagers, ce qui était considéré comme un exploit à l'époque.

Peu de temps après, Fulton et William Cutting, son beau-frère, ont formé la New York & Brooklyn Steamboat Ferry Association, leur premier bateau étant le Nassau, construit en 1813. Un assistant de confiance de Fulton's, l'ingénieur principal de l'entreprise , du nom de louis rhoda, a été écrasée à mort dans les machines du nassau lors de la traversée de brooklyn le 10 mai 1814, lorsque ce ferry a fait son premier voyage. Ce voyage, de l'autre côté de l'East River, durait en moyenne 10 minutes et jusqu'à 30 voyages étaient effectués quotidiennement. Le navire était également souvent utilisé après les heures de travail par des groupes de plaisance pour des excursions en amont du fleuve. Vers 1840, le nassau en tant que ferry mit fin à sa carrière. La coque a été acquise par la société des amis du marin, pour un béthel flottant au pied de Pike Street à New York.

En 1827 (après la mort de Fulton) un nouveau bac fut construit et placé sur la traversée avec le Nassau. Il s'agissait de la coupe william, de construction similaire au nassau, qui fonctionna jusqu'en 1840 lorsqu'elle fut démantelée.

Les bateaux à vapeur n'étaient qu'un des intérêts de Fulton. Les améliorations du canal, la guerre des torpilles et les sous-marins en étaient d'autres. Auparavant, il s'intéressait à la peinture à l'huile miniature et, à Londres, il étudia avec benjamin west. L'une de ses inventions mineures était une affaire de ponton d'un pont-dock flottant qui monte et descend avec les marées et permet aux voitures et aux wagons de monter et de descendre des ferry-boats qu'il a conçus. Cette rampe d'accès au ferry, qui est en fait ce qu'elle était, a peu changé au fil des ans.

Il y avait un autre grand « inventeur » de bateaux à vapeur qui a précédé Fulton et son Clermont de 17 ans. Il s'agit de John Fitch qui fera l'objet de l'article de la semaine prochaine.

28 janvier 1965

John Fitch et son bateau à vapeur
Partie 1

Les historiens conviennent qu'un bateau à vapeur a été exploité avec succès sur la rivière Delaware 16 ans avant que Robert Fulton's Clermont n'embue l'Hudson.

Ce bateau à vapeur était le Thornton, construit par John Fitch. Après plusieurs tentatives notables mais pour la plupart infructueuses, dont un navire construit et mis à l'eau en 1787 dont le moteur manipulait des jeux de pagaies, son bateau à vapeur de 1790 fut un succès.

Nommé le thornton en l'honneur de l'ami et principal bailleur de fonds de Fitch, le dr. William Thornton, le navire a été construit à Philadelphie. Mais contrairement à ses prédécesseurs, le thornton était propulsé par trois grandes pagaies en forme de bêche à l'arrière. Le tiers avant du bateau était ponté et soutenait une petite cabine, immédiatement à l'arrière de laquelle se trouvaient la chaudière et une grande cheminée. De là à la poupe du tableau arrière se trouvait un puits ouvert contenant le moteur et les machines auxiliaires. Ce moteur avait un cylindre de 18 pouces de diamètre, dont le moulage à l'époque était un petit miracle en soi.

Le bateau de 1787 mesurait 60 pieds de long avec une largeur de neuf pieds et un tirant d'eau de quatre pieds. Aucune dimension n'est disponible pour le navire de 1790, mais à en juger par les croquis contemporains, il était légèrement plus long avec une largeur considérable. La vitesse "phénoménale" de six à sept mph a été atteinte de manière constante avec huit mph dans des conditions idéales.

Après le voyage d'essai de Thornton le 16 avril 1790, Fitch écrivit :

"Bien que le vent soufflait très frais au nord-est, nous avons régné seigneurs hauts amiraux du delaware et aucun bateau sur la rivière ne pouvait tenir avec nous, mais tous sont tombés à l'arrière, bien que plusieurs voiliers très légers avec des voiles lourdes qui ont fait tomber leurs plats-bords à l'eau, est venu nous essayer."

Jusqu'à présent, le plus gros problème de Fitch avait été de financer ses expériences, mais après cela, des groupes plus récents d'actionnaires se sont réunis d'un commun accord pour former une seule entreprise. Des mesures ont été prises immédiatement pour mettre le bateau à vapeur en exploitation commerciale, et à partir du 14 juin 1790, des annonces ont été publiées dans la gazette fédérale et le paquet de philadelphie comme suit :

"le bateau à vapeur est maintenant prêt à prendre des passagers et est destiné à partir du ferry Arch Street à Philadelphie, tous les lundis, mercredis et vendredis pour Burlington, Bristol, Bordentown et Trenton pour revenir les mardis, jeudis et samedis. Prix pour les passagers 2-6 à Burlington et Bristol, 3-9 à Bordentown et 5s à Trenton."

Pour la première fois dans l'histoire, un bateau à vapeur effectuait des voyages réguliers transportant des passagers selon un horaire publié et pendant sa brève saison d'exploitation a couvert entre 2000 et 3000 milles, incontestablement une performance impressionnante quand on se rend compte que c'était 16 ans plus tôt que le clermont.

Le 16 juin 1790, lors de l'un des voyages réguliers de Thornton, le gouverneur Miflin et le Conseil exécutif suprême de Pennsylvanie prirent le passage à l'improviste et furent si satisfaits de l'efficacité du navire qu'un ensemble coloré de drapeaux, coûtant plus de 5 livres, fut présenté à la compagnie de bateaux à vapeur.

Il y avait une myriade de raisons pour lesquelles le Thornton n'a fonctionné qu'une seule saison. Le facteur principal était probablement la timidité et le conservatisme inhérent des personnes qui préféraient les méthodes traditionnelles de voyage et qui manquaient de confiance en une innovation aussi nouvelle qu'un bateau à vapeur. Ensuite, les riverains ont initié une inimitié intense à la fois contre Fitch et son bateau à vapeur, considérant avec beaucoup de logique un bateau à vapeur comme une menace distincte pour leur existence économique, le même problème que Fulton a rencontré plus tard avec son clermont. Une autre raison était que les diligences faisaient généralement mieux que le bateau à vapeur, bien que les passagers arrivaient souvent « tout secoués ».

Avant d'évaluer pleinement ces faits décourageants, la société avait déjà projeté la construction d'un nouveau bateau plus grand sur lequel Fitch avait commencé la construction. Bien que jamais achevé, ce navire a été lancé et baptisé la persévérance. Pendant que la cabine était en cours d'achèvement et que les machines étaient installées, un violent nord-est a arraché le bateau de son quai sur le Delaware et l'a conduit de l'autre côté de la rivière, le plaçant sur l'île de Petty, en face de Philadelphie. Before being refloated, alterations to the air pump and other parts of the machinery were made at the insistence of certain stockholders against fitch's better judgement. Irreparable damage resulted and the company soon found itself deeply in debt. Unable to further finance the venture, the entire project was abandoned. (continued next week)

February 4, 1965

the Fitch Steamboats
(Continued From Last Week)
The indominable fitch refused to give up and spent several years in a vain attempt to interest the government in steam navigation on the mississippi. Finally in 1793 he took passage to france but that country still in the throes of social and political upheaval, was more interested in the bores of cannon than in engine cylinders. He met with equally discouraging results in england and the following year returned to america.

Thoroughly disheartened he left new york in 1794 for kentucky where early in his career as a surveyer he had invested in land warrants. Arriving there he discovered that much of his thirteen hundred acres had been preempted by squatters and now, further discouraged, he went to the home of his friend, alexander mccowan, at bardstown, kentucky. Yet even toward the end of his career and in failing health, fitch continued to carry on the steamboat experiments and at bardstown built a three foot model with side paddlewheels and a brass cylindered engine, which he operated on beech fork, a branch of the salt river.

A number f books state that fitch built and experimented with a small steamboat on collet pond, new york city, in 1796. The vessel had both side wheels and a screw at the stern, this claim is based upon a broad side, with wood cuts, published in 1846 -- nearly fifty years after fitch's death -- and by john hutchins entitled "honor to whom honor is due". The author states that as a boy he rode with fitch in this boat and that fulton and livingston were aboard. The fact that fulton was in england at this time studying painting under the great benjamin west, rather discredits this story and modern scholars are inclined to believe hutchin's memory erred and that the vessel described was one built by samuel morey. It is known that morey and was in new york in 1796 and in a letter to his friend william duer, relative to his latest experiment says, ". Having made sundry improvements in the engine i went again to new york and applied the power to a wheel in the stern by which the boat was impelled by a speed of about five miles an hour." the affadavit of two other individuals quoted by hutchins speak of seeing the boat, but do not mention fitch's name. Not a shred of evidence other than this broadside, exists to substantiate hutchin's statement.

Following the termination of fitch's delaware river venture there is a vast hiatus of steamboat chronology. More than 16 years passed during which period no steamboats operated despite numerous attempts, all were abortive and failed universally. Then, in 1807, robert fulton triumphed in the hudson with his steamboat commonly called the clermont, this was quickly followed by colonel john and robert steven's phoenix and the stable advancement of the steamboat from this time onward was assured.

John fitch was born on his father's farm in windsor township, hartford, connecticut, and led an eventful life, although frequently tormented by misfortune. In turn, he became a surveyor, silversmith, watchmaker, and in the revolution a gunsmith at valley forge. In 1782, while a trader on the ohio river, he was captured by the indians, delivered to the british in detroit and later released in exchange of prisoners.

It was not until 1785 that he became obsessed with the idea of propelling a boat by steam and devoted the rest of his life toward this achievement. After a long illness his death occurred at bardstown on july 1st, 1798. In his autobiography he states this touching and prophetic thought: " the time will come when all our great lakes, rivers and oceans will be navigated by vessels propelled by steam when some more powerful man will get fame and riches from my invention but nobody will believe that poor john fitch can do anything worthy of attention."

In the state capitol at hartford, a tablet dedicated to fitch reads: "this tablet erected by the state of connecticut commemorates the genius, patience and perseverance of john fitch a native of the town of windsor and first to apply steam successfully to the propulsion of vessels through water."

There is little doubt that if john fitch's steamboat of 1790 had continued in operation, the name fitch rather than fulton would have gone down in history books as the "inventor" or the steamboat.

February 11, 1965

Chauncey Vibbard: 1864-1900

Pictures from the new york state library in albany, william elmendorf collection

The third steamboat to join the fleet on the hudson river day line, the chauncey vibbard, began her career june 18, 1864, on the new york to albany run.

The appearance of this new steamboat on the river excited much favorable comment. Her graceful proportions and beauty of structure made a pleasing picture against the backdrop of the hudson highlands as she cruised the river. The vessel was at its graceful best when steaming at full speed. Having a very narrow beam for her length, the chauncey vibbard cut the water as a knife blade with scarcely a ripple breaking from her stem to her paddle wheels. Hull and engine were balanced to perfection to eliminate vibration and the vessel seemed to move through the water with dignified ease.

Captain van santvoord was understandably proud of his new steamboat and spared nothing to make her the finest on the river. Her speed was not illusory either, as in the case of some boats in her era, for she was about as fast as any steamboat that ever plied the hudson. This was amply proved on april 18th, 1876, when she ran from new york to albany without making any landings in six hours and 20 minutes, easily the best time on record at that period for a through passage.

Captain dave hitchcock, the vibbard's commander at this time, had steadily maintained that she could beat the record and would do it, too, if he ever got a chance to let her but which he could not do so long as she was on a scheduled run. His opportunity finally came when the vibbard's owners decided to send her to albany to be painted before the opening of the regular season.

She left new york at 5:20am having on board a party of excursionists, who had been promised the fastest trip they had ever taken on a steamboat. The promise was fully kept for the vibbard glided up to her pier at albany at 11:40am. It was favored with a flood tide as far as rhinebeck, but that this was more than offset by a heavy freshet in the upper hudson, the effect of which was felt from catskill to albany.

The record established by the vibbard caused much discussions among the steamboat fraternity, and the old question as to whether a day boat had the advantage over a night boat, or vice versa in making the run from new york to albany gave rise to much argument.

Changes Made
Two seasons after her launching the chauncey vibbard was lengthened 16 feet and changes made to her engine. Those familiar with the vessel conceded that alterations to have an unfavorable effect on her speed. She also had the reputation of being one of the hardest of any of the fast day boats to drive before the wind. The only satisfactory explanation given for this was the width of the square front of her joiner work. She had long, high hog-framing as did all the large boats.

In 1880, the vessel's boilers were removed from the guards and three new ones installed in the hold with three stacks placed athwartships, considerably changing the appearance of the steamboat. It also had the effect of causing the vessel to lose the fine balance it had formerly possessed.

For some time the chauncey vibbard ran with the daniel drew and later the albany before being withdrawn from service and used as a spare boat. In 1896 she was sold and taken to the delaware river for service between philadelphia and lincoln park on excursion runs.

Following the spanish american war in 1899, a "peace jubilee" with a naval parade was staged on the hudson with the vibbard participating. Crowded with celebrated passengers, the old steamboat began leaking badly and was beached on a sandbar. Prior to this incident no disaster or accident had marred the log book of the vibbard during her many years of service.

The vessel was later floated and towed to cramers hill, where, in 1900, she was partially dismantled. The skeleton of her hull remained there for many years, the last visible vestige of this fine old boat.

Statistics: - lawrence & foulks, builders, brooklyn, ny. Wood hull, 794 tons, length 265 feet beam 35 feet depth nine feet five inches. Fletcher & harrison vertical beam engine, no. 37, having 55 inch cylinder with 12 foot stroke. Two boilers on the guards. Paddlewheels 30 feet in diameter with nine foot five inch face. In 1866 the vessel was cut in two and 16 feet added amidship, increasing her length to 261 feet. And her tonnage to 1158. The cylinder diameter was increased to 62 inches. In 1880, the two boilers were replaced with three placed in the hold with three stacks placed athwartships.

February 18, 1965

the Kaaterskill and Adirondack
Postcard of the adirondack courtesy of melissa finch

Postcard of the kaaterskill courtesy of barbara bartley

Picture of the adirondack and the ship's pass from the new york state library, william elmendorf collection

Of these two old time night boats the kaaterskill is of the most interest as it was built in athens and was the largest steamboat built north of newburgh.

Built for the catskill new york evening line by van loon magee in athens, the kaaterskill made her maiden trip down the hudson in august 1882. She was christened upon launching by miss grace donahue, daughter of captain william donahue and her first commander was captain charles ru ton. Her sister ship was the city of catskill, built two years earlier.

The kaaterskill was the pride of the line and the flagship of the fleet. She was luxuriously furnished, was fast and could accommodate three hundred passengers, having 150 staterooms and 73 cabins plus a very large freight capacity.

A few weeks after her launching she had the only accident of note during her career of 32 years. While southbound near stony point the vessel was disabled by a broken strap on her walking beam. The added strain caused the connecting rod to break loose and drop on the main steam pipe, bursting it. As a result one man died and several others were seriously injured by the escaping steam.

The kaaterskill was later chartered by the hudson navigation company, and under command of captain benjamin hoff (of athens) and ran on the new york - albany route until december 12th, 1913. On this route her consorts were the onteora and the city of hudson. The following year the old steamboat was deemed unfit for further service and her superstructure dismantled and machinery removed at newburgh. On september 12th, 1914 the hull was towed to new london and converted in to a barge.

Statistics: van loon magee, builders, athens, ny. Wood hull. 1361 tons. Length 281 feet beam 38 feet depth 10 feet. Fletcher harrison vertical beam engine having 63 inch cylinder with 12 foot stroke. This engine, fletcher no. 100, was called the "centennial". Two lobster - back return tube boilers. Paddlewheels 31 feet in diameter with 10 foot face.

The adirondack built for the people's line, came out in 1896 and under command of captain s.J. Roe was placed on the new york - albany run. This magnificent steamboat succeeded the drew and was considerably more elaborate in her interior appointments than any night boat previously built. She also had greater power and speed than any vessel built for the line up to that time. She boasted five decks (main, saloon, promenade, done and hurricane) and a dining room seating 300 people also 350 staterooms, including twenty-four parlors and four suites of parlors. In addition to the staterooms the adirondack had 286 berths in the cabins and 120 berths for crew members. An electric generator supplied power for 2,000 lights and for a searchlight with a range of two miles, being the first night boat to have a powerful searchlight.

She was also the first hudson river steamboat to exceed one million dollars in cost.

There were few if any that could equal her speed. In may 1899, she made the new york to albany run in less than six and one half hours running time, carrying 400 passengers and 350 tons of freight.

The only serious accident in the career of the adirondack occurred on october 18th, 1906. On the evening of that date she was run down near tivoli by the steamboat saratoga. The saratoga sank and was later raised and rebuilt. The damage to the adirondack consisted of her foredeck being carried away, although she finished the season without a layup. Each vessel lost one man in the accident.

During world war 1 the adirondack was drafted and used as a barracks at the brooklyn nay yard. Shortly after the was she was laid up at the old brick row mooring in athens and on december 29th, 1925, ice opened her seams and she sank in shallow water. She was then sold for scrap for the reported sun of $14,00 (as written), was raised and then dismantled. So ended the career of the last and the largest wooden hull steamboat ever built for hudson river service. Statistics: john englis & son, builders, brooklyn. Wood hull. 3,644 tons. Length 440 feet, beam 50 feet - over guards 90 feet depth of hell (as written) 12 feet. W.A. Fletcher no. 158 vertical beam engine having 81 inch cylinder with 12 foot stroke.

February 25, 1965

the M. Martin and the Tremper
Yes, the two old work horses and there are many of us oldsters who still remember them. Though in the early part of their careers they were considered small, luxurious, night boats, later they primarily carried freight: produce brought down to the landings by farmers and their steady income from the breweries in albany and troy. How well many of us remember them with their entire forward decks stacked high with beer kegs!

The m. Martin stands alone in her historical background. Named after a prosperous hudson merchant and banker, she was one of the most beautifully proportioned of the medium sized steamboats that made hudson river history. Shortly after being launched she was drafted by civil war service. Due to her smart appearance and elegant furnishings as well as staunchness and speed, she was chosen as general grant’s dispatch boat on chesapeake bay troops and dispatch passengers and messages. During this period she was known as the “greyhound” of the federal government’s fleet on inland steamboats. After the confederate capitol fell to union forces, president lincoln and general grant visited richmond and held conferences aboard the m. Martin.

Upon her honorable discharge from service the martin returned “down east”. In 1867 she ran as an opposition boat on the bangor-portland (maine) route.

The m. Martin was then acquired by the romer & tremper steamboat company of rondout, new york, who placed her on the newburgh-albany run, having eagle as consort. In april 2, 1884, while near milton landing, fire was discovered on the eagle. Captain rogers, with the help of the john l. Hasbrouk, succeeded in landing the vessel at milton cock, where passengers and crew were discharged without loss of life. However, the eagle burnt to the water’s edge and became a total loss. In 1885 the new jacob h. Tremper was added to the line and became the martin’s consort. A peculiarity of the martin and the eagle was to announce their approach to a landing with a bell, instead of the customary whistle.

Near Collision
On the morning of may 19th, 1878, in a light fog, while near new hamburg, the martin narrowly missed a collision with the mary powell. When the martin’s whistle was heard on the powell, the latter’s pilot rang to stop the engine. Both pilots rang to go astern, but both had headway when the martin’s bow struck the powell’s paddlebox and an eight foot gash was made in her guard, but her hull was undamaged.

Then again, may 5, 181 (as written), in mid-morning, martin figured in another incident with the powell, then lying in rondout creek. The ferryboat transport was bound out the creek while the martin was entering to make her landing. The transport’s pilot put his wheel over hard to change course but the vessel steered over to port and he was unable to check her. He then ran full speed astern but was unable to prevent her (the transport) from running into the powell.

The powell which was docked lurched over and her guard coming up snapped five piles off along the dock. More serious damage included about 50 feet of her joiner work stove in. Captain a.E. Anderson, standing on the dock, was an amazed spectator.

The central hudson steamboat company of newburgh purchased the martin in 1889. Although then 36 years old, she was in excellent condition. Because of her success in combating ice, martin was often the first vessel to make the trip in the spring and the last to leave the hudson when winter set in.

Serious Accident
Throughout her long and varied career of nearly 60 years she had only one serious accident. Laden with freight and carrying 20 passengers the mishap occurred near esopus island as the martin was southbound from albany on the morning of june 16, 1919. Captain george hadley noticed smoke curling from the pilothouse and immediately headed the vessel for the shore east of the island near staatsburg. The passengers were quickly removed in small boats to safety. Then captain hadley got the firehose playing on the flames and within 10 minutes the incident was over with only a blackened pilot house as a reminder. The martin then picked up her passengers and proceeded to newburgh, little the worse for the experience.

The m. Martin continued on the newburgh albany route until laid up in the fall of 1919.

Her last commander was captain h. Fairbacks her last chief engineer fred requa. The following summer in 1920, she was dismantled after 56 years of service. The hull was bought by pat doherty for use as a dock at eavesport, near malden. The career of the steamboat that had once carried the president of the united states, abraham lincoln, to ties: m.S. Allison, builder, jersey city. Wood hull, 570 tons, length 191’, beam 28’ depth 8’. Fletcher & harrison vertical beam engine no. 35 having 44” cylinder with nine foot stroke. One iron boiler on the deck.

Jacob Tremper
Jacob h. Tremper. In the spring 1858 the jacob h. Tremper made her maiden trip up the hudson. This wooden vessel was built for the romer & tremper steamboat company and designed for both freight and passenger service to operate as a day boat between newburgh and albany. She was built to replace the eagle which had burned at milton dock the previous year, 1848. The tremper’s consort for many years was the m. Martin, which she resembled in many ways.

The new boat was admirably fitted for the run having apas (as written) and a large freight capacity. Because of these qualifications her value was quickly recognized.

In the winter of 1898 romer & tremper fleet of steamboats was purchased by the central hudson steamboat company of newburgh. This transaction included the jacob h. Tremper, m. Martin, william f. Romer and the james b. Baldwin.

The following description of the tremper appeared in the newburgh daily journal may 9, 1885, on the occasion of the vessel’s maiden trip up the river.

“this boat is very admirably fitted up. The ladies room aft is furnished with cherry furniture upholstered in blue velvet. The floor is covered with a wiltshire carpet and the lambrequins above the windows are blue and gold. The toilet rooms connected with the ladies saloon are fitted with the latest improvements. The main saloon extending along the upper deck is very handsome. The wood work is very ornamental with cherry and ash, the paneling in blue and gold. An elegant brussels carpet covers the floor and upholstered arm chairs are arranged along either side. The main or grand stairway from the main deck to the saloon is of cherry, ash and mahogany, highly polished. A large french mirror meets the eye at the head of the forward stairway leading to the saloon. The captain’s office is located on the port side of the boat, and is very handsomely furnished. The pilot and engineer have quarters on the hurricane deck aft of the pilot house. The pilot house is first class, and is fitted up with all modern improvements. The dining cabin below the main deck is well lighted and roomy and is aft. It is paneled in hardwood, the same as other portions of the boat. Adjoining it on the starboard side is the kitchen which is supplied with a french range, and further forward, connected with the kitchen is a dining room for the crew. There is more open space on the decks of the new boat than there is on the martin, her companion boat, or the old eagle, whose place she takes on the line.

March 4, 1965

Chrystenah: 1866 - 1920

Picture of the chrystenah from the new york state library, william elmendorf collection

Although only a medium size sidewheeler, the chrystenah was a creation of beauty and one of the fastest single stack vessels ever to steam the hudson. Built for the new york-nyack route, her run was soon extended to peekskill when it was realized she had speed in abundance. She made one round trip a day from that city to new york. She was the last steamboat owned by the smith brothers of nyack who, for over 40 years, controlled the water transportation out of nyack.

Sold in 1907 to captain david c. Woolsey and captain nelson, she continued on the same route until later, when taken to newburgh, and used as a charter excursion boat during the summer months on the upper hudson. The hudson river day line also occasionally chartered her for use in carrying baggage for the day line vessels. In 1911 the chrystenah was in operation between that city and coney island, moving the following year to the new york - keanesburgh, n.J. Run where she ran opposition to the regular boats on this route. She continued on this run until 1917 when transferred to the new york - stamford (conn.) route. Still later she was in use as an excursion steamer, this time around new york harbor and long island sound.

Almost a twin in appearance to the jacob h. Tremper, chrystenah's excursions went as far as catskill, where she always aroused curiosity as to where she came from and where she was bound. Though she belonged down in peekskill she quite often made excursions to catskill during the summer months always with a jolly party aboard.

The chrystenah was sold in 1920 for cross sound service to oyster bay and in the fall of the same year, laid up at new rochelle. That winter she was wrecked by a severe storm and blown into the mouth of echo creek. She was so wedged between its rocky banks that the insurance company paid her owners for a total loss.

The city of rochelle then came into title and sold her at public auction for the price of one dollar. Frederick wenke, the new owner, floated her out on a high tide and towed her to oyster bay. Originally he planned to convert the hull into a ferryboat but instead dismantled her and ran the hull aground on the beach on long island sound. This ended the career of the once beautiful chrystenah.

Statistics: william dickey, builder, nyack. Wood hull: 571 tons. Length: 196'6" beam 30'2" depth 0'3". Chrystenah's vertical beam engine came from the broadway when that vessel was dismantled in 1865. Originally having a 46" cylinder with 10' stroke, this engine was completely rebuilt by mccurdy and warren in jersey city and given a 50" cylinder with 11' stroke. The original engine was built by the west point foundry company in 1837 for the arrow, later renamed broadway.

Postcards of the dewitt clinton courtesy of robert cummings and melissa finch.

C) de witt clinton 1921 – 1942

D) col. Frederick johnson 1942 – 1948

The dewitt clinton, as noted above, was a ship of many names and changed ownership many times. This screw steamer was built in 1913 as part of a plan to establish a competition route between new york city and providence, rhode island. The grand turk (as wriiten) railroad and the central vermont railroad proposed to build a railroad fromprovidence up to canada and had two night boats constructed to connect new york and providence . The two vessels were the manhattan (later the dewitt clinton) and narrangansett designed for the emigrant trade and first class travel. Before the railroad could be completed, chairman hayes of the grand trunk railroad died and the venture was abandoned.

The manhattan and the narragansett, uncompleted and still without fittings, lay at anchor off washington, delaware, where they were built, and later were towed to new london and tied up.

The year 1917 marked the entry of the united states into the world war and the manhattan was purchased by the navy to be refitted, reinforced and renamed – this time the nopatin. The steamer was then sent to england under her own power and used to ferry troops across the channel from england to france. According to reports, she safely transported 150,000 troops across the channel before returning to the united states.

Following war duty she was purchased by the hudson river day line who rebuilt the vessel for its bear mountain route. Renamed the de witt clinton, she steamed the hudson from 1921 until laid up in 1932 when, due to the depression, one day excursions became unprofitable. During this period she was one of a fleet of seven vessels owned by the day line, three of which were propeller driven. Her commander during this period was captain roney magee.

The de witt clinton was again in service from june to september in 1939, making trips up the hudson before returning to an inactive status. In february 1942 she was again drafted by the government. The war shipping administration converted the vessel into a troop transport under the command of the army transportation core. Rechristened again, this time colonel frederick johnson, she was again plying the english channel following the invasion of allied troops into france. At the end of world war ii the war shipping administration returned the vessel to the maritime commission who laid her up in the james river.

It was assumed by all who knew her that the old steamer would never again sail but the vessel seemed to have an affinity for international crisis. She was purchased by samuel derecktor who operated a shipping firm in new york city. Again renamed, this time the derecktor, the steamer was refitted under the watchful eye of the coast guard, for it was suspected that her new owner might be planning to smuggle soldiers and arms to embattled israel and the coast guard was standing by to impound her should sufficient reason present itself.

But the derecktor, was then registered under the panamanian flag and her owners given as brownsam company of panama city. She flew the panamanian flag and was cleared for marseilles sailing “light” and without passengers, though fitted to carry 2,500 tons of cargo and 500 passengers. With a crew of 50 and under command of captain dominik romano her intended purpose was variously described as a de luxe passenger steamer between marseilles and north africa ports. However, few were surprised when the israeli maritime league in new york newspapers of january 17th, 1949, announced that the former hudson river steamer was carrying immigrants from marseilles to haifa for the israeli zim line.

Some time when under this ownership, supposedly in 1952, the vessel was rechristened still again (!), this time the galatin. And, as yet, i have been unable to find the final disposition of this old timer, which once flew the owner’s flag of the hudson river day line. And i am hoping the old timer is still going strong.


Для показа рекламных объявлений Etsy по интересам используются технические решения сторонних компаний.

Мы привлекаем к этому партнеров по маркетингу и рекламе (которые могут располагать собранной ими самими информацией). Отказ не означает прекращения демонстрации рекламы Etsy или изменений в алгоритмах персонализации Etsy, но может привести к тому, что реклама будет повторяться чаще и станет менее актуальной. Подробнее в нашей Политике в отношении файлов Cookie и схожих технологий.


ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • APA
  • Standard
  • Harvard
  • Vancouver
  • Auteur
  • BIBTEX
  • RIS

History and molecular genetics of lynch syndrome in family G : A century later. / Douglas, Julie A. Gruber, Stephen B. Meister, Karen A. Bonner, Joseph Watson, Patrice Krush, Anne J. Lynch, Henry T.

Research output : Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review

T1 - History and molecular genetics of lynch syndrome in family G

N1 - Copyright: Copyright 2008 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.

N2 - Context: In 1895, Aldred Scott Warthin, MD, PhD, initiated one of the most thoroughly documented and longest cancer family histories ever recorded. The unusually high incidence and segregation of cancers of the colon, rectum, stomach, and endometrium in Dr Warthin's family G was later followed up by his colleagues, most recently by Henry Lynch, MD. Described today as a Lynch syndrome family, family G was last documented in 1971, prior to the modern era of molecular diagnostics. Objective: To update family G. Design, Setting, and Participants: Historical prospective cohort study of family G members from 1895 to 2000. Main Outcome Measures: The primary outcomes were the frequencies and types of cancers, ages at diagnosis, and presence of the T to G transversion at the splice acceptor site of exon 4 of the mutS homolog 2, colon cancer, nonpolyposis type 1 (E coli) (MSH2) gene in family G members. A secondary analysis compared cancerspecific incidence rates in family G with published national and regional cancer incidence rates through the standardized incidence ratio (SIR). Results: Family G now has 929 known descendants of the original progenitor first reported in 1913. Cancers of the colon and rectum (SIR, 3.20 95% confidence interval [CI], 2.39-4.19) and endometrium (SIR, 3.51 95% CI, 1.92-5.89) continue to predominate in family G. Five of 40 tested members of family G carry the MSH2 T to G mutation as a result, 15 of their living relatives are at increased risk of developing 1 or more colorectal or Lynch syndrome-associated cancers. In contrast, 97 living members of family G can now be excluded as mutation carriers. Conclusion: Within the last decade, molecular diagnostic testing has transformed the care of family G and other Lynch syndrome families in which a pathogenic mutation has been identified.

AB - Context: In 1895, Aldred Scott Warthin, MD, PhD, initiated one of the most thoroughly documented and longest cancer family histories ever recorded. The unusually high incidence and segregation of cancers of the colon, rectum, stomach, and endometrium in Dr Warthin's family G was later followed up by his colleagues, most recently by Henry Lynch, MD. Described today as a Lynch syndrome family, family G was last documented in 1971, prior to the modern era of molecular diagnostics. Objective: To update family G. Design, Setting, and Participants: Historical prospective cohort study of family G members from 1895 to 2000. Main Outcome Measures: The primary outcomes were the frequencies and types of cancers, ages at diagnosis, and presence of the T to G transversion at the splice acceptor site of exon 4 of the mutS homolog 2, colon cancer, nonpolyposis type 1 (E coli) (MSH2) gene in family G members. A secondary analysis compared cancerspecific incidence rates in family G with published national and regional cancer incidence rates through the standardized incidence ratio (SIR). Results: Family G now has 929 known descendants of the original progenitor first reported in 1913. Cancers of the colon and rectum (SIR, 3.20 95% confidence interval [CI], 2.39-4.19) and endometrium (SIR, 3.51 95% CI, 1.92-5.89) continue to predominate in family G. Five of 40 tested members of family G carry the MSH2 T to G mutation as a result, 15 of their living relatives are at increased risk of developing 1 or more colorectal or Lynch syndrome-associated cancers. In contrast, 97 living members of family G can now be excluded as mutation carriers. Conclusion: Within the last decade, molecular diagnostic testing has transformed the care of family G and other Lynch syndrome families in which a pathogenic mutation has been identified.


They All Should Be Like Mike : Dodgers: Scioscia has many fans, but none greater than patients and staff at a rehabilitative hospital in Pomona.

As Mike Scioscia struggles through the early part of what could be his final season as the Dodgers’ catcher, the image appears unchanged.

He’s quiet, expressionless, until he has to block a runner. It is in those infamous collisions that he seems most immovable--and alone.

But during his fight to remain on a team and in a town he has loved for 12 seasons, Scioscia has found help.

Helen Van Beek, a middle-aged teacher, is on his side. She would block home plate for him, if she could.

When she sees Scioscia, she thinks of her son, Jason, a 6-foot-6 boy with blond hair and blue eyes. Jason is attending the University of Texas Arlington on a basketball scholarship, and is a nationally ranked tennis player.

He is also paralyzed from the waist down.

“Thanks to people like Mike Scioscia, things are happening that I never dreamed possible,” she said. “I never pictured my boy snow skiing. I never pictured him water-skiing. You should see him play tennis!

“Mike Scioscia leave Los Angeles? Gosh, no! I hope not.”

Jim Miller, an Olympic basketball player and coach, is also on Scioscia’s side. He would catch Tom Candiotti’s knuckleball for Scioscia, if he could.

As director of the junior wheelchair sports program at Casa Colina Hospital for Rehabilitative Medicine in Pomona, Miller has seen Scioscia’s many contributions become real-life success stories.

“Every two or three years, when Mike’s contract is up, we start thinking about it,” Miller said. “I don’t know what we would do without him. To see kids grow up and become confident in their abilities, it is a tremendous thing. Mike is a tremendous person.”

Finally, Nikki Gramatikos is also on Scioscia’s side. As a media consultant at Casa Colina, she has seen the hard figures on what Scioscia has contributed since he began their relationship in 1984.

Nearly $1 million in revenue, money that has reached nearly 1,000 disabled people, supplying them with the sports equipment and facilities to help them continue and better their lives.

“We would miss Mike incredibly,” Gramatikos said. “By now, it’s like he has become a part of this hospital.”

His impact on the hospital has been as heavy as his impact on the Dodgers, for whom he has caught 1,350 games, more than anybody.

He has sponsored a fund-raising golf tournament for seven years. He collects donations from his teammates whenever he blocks the plate. And he has made countless visits to the hospital and satellite summer camps.

‘I don’t know if proud is the right word, because I really haven’t done anything, but I do have a great sense of fulfillment there,” Scioscia said. “Second to my marriage and my family, it is the most fulfilling thing I do.”

That is one of the reasons Scioscia is working so hard to return to the Dodgers after his contract ends this fall.

“It’s no secret, I want to stay here,” he said. “I really feel a part of things here.”

Even with top prospect Mike Piazza just one level away, it seems probable that Scioscia will receive at least one more contract here.

Scioscia has not heard anything about a new contract, though, and won’t.

Even though Fred Claire, Dodger vice president, broke his policy by giving Scioscia a new deal before the end of the 1989 season, Claire has since toughened his stance of not holding contract discussions until the end of the season.

Claire is outspoken in his praise of Piazza and Dodger backup Carlos Hernandez, but there is a sense that he understands Scioscia’s value in a different light.

“Right now I would give Mike good marks as always,” he said. “He does a lot of things that people who don’t follow our games closely wouldn’t know.”

Scioscia was enjoying playing golf 11 years ago when Mickey Hatcher asked him to play in a new tournament for this unusual hospital.

It turned out to be the start of a relationship that peaked last year when he learned that Jason Van Beek had become one of the first athletes in the country to receive a wheelchair basketball scholarship.

And to think that when Van Beek, at 9, first visited Casa Colina, he was suffering from Guillian Barre Syndrome and was paralyzed from the neck down.

“To see people like that, that makes it all worth it,” Scioscia said. “I mean, one of the first scholarships in the whole country. Maintenant c'est an achievement.”

Bill Plaschke has been an L.A. Times columnist since 1996. He has been named national sports columnist of the year eight times by the Associated Press, and twice by the Society of Professional Journalists and National Headliner Awards. He is the author of five books, including a collection of his columns entitled, “Plaschke: Good Sports, Spoil Sports, Foul Ball and Oddballs.” Plaschke is also a panelist on the popular ESPN daily talk show, “Around the Horn.” For his community service, he has been named Man of the Year by the Los Angeles Big Brothers/Big Sisters, and has received a Pursuit of Justice Award from the California Women’s Law Center. Plaschke has appeared in a movie (“Ali”), a dramatic HBO series (“Luck”) and, in a crowning cultural moment he still does not quite understand, his name can be found in a rap song “Females Welcome” by Asher Roth. In case you were wondering – and he was – “Plaschke” is rhymed with “Great Gatsby.”

These trips will take you to priceless places, and our pro tips will help you dig deeper.

Californians can now access a digital copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record as part of a new system unveiled by the state, officials said.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have lifted rules about crowds and distancing. Fireworks are coming back. But some changes will stick.

Transportation officials and drivers are waiting to see traffic and transit patterns altered by the COVID-19 pandemic offer clues to the future of commuting or mark only a temporary change in L.A.'s gridlock.

A growing contingent of medical experts is questioning the conventional wisdom that healthy children should get COVID-19 shots as soon as possible.


Nopatin SP-2195 - History

DuBois Chemicals Response to COVID-19

DuBois Chemicals Response to COVID-19Read More

DuBois Chemicals Response to COVID-19

DuBois Chemicals Response to COVID-19Read More

DuBois – Where chemistry and process knowledge meet

Reduced operating costs • Sustainable chemistry • Safe and efficient processes

DuBois – Where chemistry and process knowledge meet

Reduced operating costs • Sustainable chemistry • Safe and efficient processes

DuBois – Where chemistry and process knowledge meet

Reduced operating costs • Sustainable chemistry • Safe and efficient processes

DuBois has a comprehensive line of proven technologies.

DuBois provides a complete line of customized solutions that assist in the top quality production of your manufactured goods. Our chemicals and technical support will help you optimize performance, improve quality and lower costs. We will partner with you by offering innovative process solutions and technical services that exceed your expectations.

DuBois has a long history of providing best in class cleaning solutions for the Food Processing and Beverage Industries. We focus on open plant cleaning (OPC), clean-in-place (CIP) and sanitization. DuBois is a SQF Certified manufacturer.

DuBois has unique application technologies for tissue, towel, paper board, packaging, printing and specialty paper mills. We specialize in fabric treatment and cleaning, deposit control, roll treatment and general paper mill cleaning. Our industry standard solutions will allow you to run your machines at peak efficiency.

DuBois has custom solutions for cooling towers, closed-loops, and boilers that can result in significant water, labor and energy savings. Our Legionella control programs will help you maintain safety at your facility, and our cloud-based data management will keep you informed. DuBois Wastewater experts are ready to design a treatment program that will help keep you in compliance.

DuBois manufactures and supplies Blendco Systems full line of auto wash and C.A.R. detailing products. We are dedicated to providing you with the very best auto care products to take you where you want to go putting out cleaner cars faster and improving your bottom line.

DuBois integrates chemistry, equipment and service to ensure you are keeping your fleet and image clean. We have decades of experience cleaning large vehicles for freight and grocery haulers, rail, municipal transit and waste management providers.

For nearly 100 years, DuBois has delivered improved product quality and lower costs to customers in target industries. We combine advanced chemistry, equipment solutions, manufacturing process knowledge, and local technical service to create unsurpassed value.


the code ( try block in your case) runs regardless of the if condition as the try block clears the scope of if block.
Either put try completely inside if block or surround both if,else statement by a single try block.

I don't know what is the need of multiple try/catch here :

You can add one more catch(Exception e) to the upper try/catch block and that will serve the same purpose. Secondly there is no else part to this if (root.RootAvailibility() && (root.checkRootMethod3())) . So, if it is false the program will simply move forward.

Well you're always going to see Text04 because there's no conditional that excludes it. Le bloc try catch dans lequel il se trouve est au niveau supérieur.

Cela aiderait si vous pouviez fournir un exemple court, autonome et compilable de votre code. Il manque clairement un autre code potentiellement pertinent. Par exemple, le try qui va avec ce dernier bloc catch. En outre, cela peut vous aider à commenter le début et la fin de vos blocs de code afin que vous puissiez dire ce qui est inclus dans les instructions if else.


Voir la vidéo: History of the Royal Navy - Steam, steel and Dreadnoughts 1806-1918 (Juin 2022).


Commentaires:

  1. Grisham

    Ce n'est pas plus précis

  2. Kedar

    C'est l'information drôle

  3. Haefen

    Étonnante! Étonnante!

  4. Ranfield

    Je pense que vous n'avez pas raison. Je suggère d'en discuter. Écrivez-moi dans PM.

  5. Mustafa

    Je pense que c'est une bonne idée.

  6. Dular

    Messieurs, êtes-vous complètement fou, les éloges affluent ici…. Qu'est-ce qui ne va pas avec ça…

  7. Barnard

    Entre nous parler, essayez de rechercher la réponse à votre question sur google.com

  8. Moogudal

    Je l'accepte avec plaisir. Le sujet est intéressant, je vais participer à la discussion. Je sais qu'ensemble, nous pouvons venir à la bonne réponse.

  9. Kesegowaase

    En effet et comme je ne l'ai pas réalisé plus tôt



Écrire un message